Tuesday, November 10, 2015

10 on 10: Hocking Hills, Ohio

For the kids fall break from school, we were able to take a couple of days away from home and I found a vacancy in a cabin in the Hocking Hills State Park--this is a place I have wanted to go for awhile because it was supposed to be spectacular, plus it is only 4 hours from my home in Indiana. The place did not disappoint. It was so amazing and beyond belief to me--with the caves, caverns, gorges, cliffs and wonderful trails through old growth forest in this non-contiguous state park.

Here are some of the photos I captured from our brief trip.

Ash Cave is not a true cave, but amazing none-the-less and the most prominent feature of the Hocking Hills area. In season, there is a tall waterfall that cascades over the edge of the cliff and I plan to be back there someday to see that wonderful sight.




Old Man's Cave was very crowded since it is the most popular 'attraction' in the area, yet the trails through the woods nearby were so tranquil and interesting. 



The most interesting spot to me was a true cave called Rock House.  The kids were impressed as well. 



Since Rock House was pretty crowded on the evening we went there together as a family, I decided to go back at dawn by myself in the hopes of being alone (which worked out, too!)




I will be trying to get back to this lovely natural place sometime in the future--perhaps in the spring when there should be an abundance of waterfalls to add more magic to the landscape.

This post is a part of the 10 on 10 blog circle. Please follow the circle starting with the lovely Kathleen.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful place to explore. As always, I love your landscape images. They are all terrific! Looks like you all had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous shots, Bonnie! What a wonderful outing for you and your family! It's already stunning - I can't even imagine how beyond amazing it would be with waterfalls! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place with Fall colors, textures and photo opportunities, not to mention quality family time! All pictures are beautiful, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohio, who knew such incredible scenery could be found here, thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to applause your landscape pictures, the silence and the melancholia you bring out in the images is amazing. I hope you find the time to go back in the spring and share the magic with us again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, looks so beautiful there! I love the Rock House images, thanks for getting up at dawn to go!

    ReplyDelete